RSS
Hello! Welcome to my movie blog

Hook


 

   For over a century, there have been many tales and legends about Peter Pan. My favorite tale comes from Steven Spielberg, storyteller James V. Hart, and Malia S. Marmo. From TriStar Pictures, it's Hook. Starring the late and legendary Robin Williams as Peter, the beloved Julia Roberts as Tinker Bell, and of course, film legend Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook. This movie is very special to me. I'll tell you why later.

   What if Peter Pan left Neverland and grew up? Well, that's what happens in this story. Peter is now married and has children of his own. But he doesn't remember a single thing about Neverland or being Peter Pan. He even has a fear of flying. One Christmas Eve night, when Peter's family came to London to honor Granny Wendy (Maggie Smith) at the Great Ormond Street Hospital, something unexpected happens. Captain Hook makes an epic return and abducts Peter's children, Maggie and Jack, and takes them prisoners on his pirate ship in Neverland. Only Peter could save the day. But he needs convincing that he was once Peter Pan. Now it's up to Tinker Bell and the Lost Boys and their new daredevil leader, Rufio, to help Peter become the Peter Pan he once was and rescue his children. 

  You have no idea how much I adore this Peter Pan movie. As much as I loved the Disney ones, Hook took Peter Pan to a whole new level. The concept of Peter growing up and forgetting Neverland was something people were wondering about for years. The reasons I love Hook is because it's so well-done, it kept the Neverland tradition, and of course, the performances of Robin Williams as Peter and Dustin Hoffman as Hook. This is actually my favorite Robin Williams movie by the way. While The Graduate is my favorite Dustin Hoffman movie, Hook was also one of Dustin's greatest highlights in his career. 

  Now, I've mentioned in the intro that this movie is very special to me. That's because this was the final movie I've ever watched with my mom before she died in 2020. It was around the final week of September, I wanted to watch a movie with mom and the movie I had in mind was Hook. Dad put a movie on the TV for me and mom and to my surprise, he put on Hook. It was as if he read my mind. And we shared a special moment as we were watching this wonderful Peter Pan tale. When the part where Peter finally remembered his "Happy Thought", which was being a dad, mom started to cry. I turned to her and said: "Now you see why I love this movie so much?". Mom smiled back at me and nodded "yes". That was one of the many times I felt connected to mom. And so, I'd like to dedicate this review to my mom. 

  If your child loves Peter Pan, Disney Fairies, or Jake & the Neverland Pirates, etc., show them Hook for a new generation of Neverland adventures. 


Did You Know?: Steven Spielberg made a cameo as a pirate in Neverland. Other cameos included George Lucas (creator of Star Wars) and the late Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia and Blues Brothers) being the couple on the bridge kissing and being levitated with pixie dust by Tink, Glenn Close as the pirate being punished into the "boo box", and rock star Phil Collins as the Scotland Yard Inspector. In most interviews, Spielberg was disappointed in the results of this movie. (Maybe it didn't came out the way he'd hoped.) Early in production, the idea was pitched to Disney, but they turned it down.

Parents Guide: This movie is rated PG. There is a scene where Peter is underwater, being kissed by mermaids in Mermaid Lagoon. There is comic violence and mischief with the Lost Boys. Some strong language here and there. There may be some frightening moments. But overall, this is a good family movie. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Aidan At The Movies. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy