RSS
Hello! Welcome to my movie blog

What About Bob?



    Yeah, what about him? I'll tell you what about him. Sure, he has mental problems, but hey, he can be fun to hang with. Time to go crazy as we take a look at this classic 90s comedy, What About Bob?. Starring Bill Murray (you know who he his), Richard Dreyfus (Close Encounters and The Goodbye Girl), Charlie Korsmo (Hook), Kathryn Erbe (Law & Order CI and OZ), Julie Hagerty (Airplane), and a special appearance by Muppet collaborator Fran Brill. Directed by Frank Oz, coincidentally a friend of the late Jim Henson.

  Bill Murray plays Bob Wiley, a totally neurotic and manipulative man. Just recently, he started seeing a new doctor. A famous yet egotistical psychotherapist named Dr. Leo Marvin, played by Richard Dreyfus. Dr. Leo had just published a new book entitled "Baby Steps", in which he gives to Bob to help overcome his fears. Apparently, after that one visit with Dr. Leo, Bob becomes attached to his new doctor. So, overcoming his fear of leaving his apartment, Bob tracks down Dr. Leo Marvin and his family to their summer vacation cottage in New Hampshire and eventually stays with them. Leo, however, does not approve because he finds Bob annoying. No, he finds Bob beyond annoying. Let's leave it at that. With Bob staying with the family on vacation, Dr. Leo's life basically falls apart and he starts to go crazy himself. 

   This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I think this will make you laugh yourself crazy yourself. (Not mentally.) There was this one time where I laughed too loud at one of my favorite parts of the movie, the whole house shook. That was a little embarrassing. But that shows you how funny I found this movie. It's amazing how a therapist can turn into a jerky person after all he's been taught about psychology. Well, one, that's irony for you. And two, it can happen in real life sometimes. Not all the time. 

  Also, as a man with Asperger's and who sees a therapist, this movie to me is relatable. In a future article this summer, hopefully, I will explain what Asperger's is like to a guy like me. I'm not sure if Bill Murray's character in Bob had it, but I know for sure he had a Tourette's problem. Anyway, not all people are perfect. I know I'm not. I'm even man enough to admit that I lose my temper sometimes in the house, which I don't like and feel guilty instantly. That's how not perfect I am. But hey, that's no problem. I'm still human like you. 

  So, to close this review, if you're looking for comic relief and want some 90s slapstick, go crazy and rent What About Bob?. 


Parents Guide: This movie's rated PG. But I think it should be PG-13 for language. As I mentioned earlier, Bob has a Tourette's problem. In one scene, he and Leo's son jump on the beds and scream curse words and dirty slangs out loud. Phrases like "Douche Bag" and "Testicle Head", etc. Parents, if you hear your kids repeat those words, wash their mouths out with soap. (Not literally, you know what I mean.) Near the end of the movie, Dr. Leo gets so crazy and annoyed at Bob, he attempts to kill him with dynamite. 

Trivia: Richard Dreyfus and Bill Murray did not get along during the filming of this comedy. (Kind of like in the movie.) Actors considered for the two leads included Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy, Patrick Stewart, James Caan, Kevin Kline, and the late Robin Williams. The vacation house was located on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. No, they didn't actually blow it up at the end. They only blew up a 3/4-sized model of the house on an empty lot for that scene. 



Dedicated to my therapist, Mary Gerry, who recently told and showed me her fascination with puppets.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Aidan At The Movies. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy